Idea: "{Gnome,KDE,Xfce,...} Minimal Desktop" groups

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed May 1 00:08:45 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-01 01:37 (GMT+0200) Sandro Mani composed:

>> # yum install @critical-path-gnome

> The gnome one is close, the kde one not: critpath contains kdelibs and
> kdm, but a minimal set would rather look like
> base + xorg + mesa + kdm kde-workspace dejavu-sans-fonts
> dejavu-sans-mono-fonts
> (here it might be a good idea to have the dejavu-sans-fonts as
> dependencies of kdm / kde-workspace?)

Why only DejaVu (which along with Verdana and Vera have the significantly
largest average x-height and width of common western web fonts)?

What good are TTF/OTF fonts without Xorg?

Mesa aka 3D? Bling I don't need, or want no matter how fast the system, and I
force it globally with Option "Composite" "Disable" somewhere in /etc/X11/.

If anything is going to require fonts it should be X if not base.

On my systems the top priority fonts are the Droids, with nearly as much
x-height as D/V/V, but not so fat.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/