Idea: "{Gnome,KDE,Xfce,...} Minimal Desktop" groups

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Wed May 1 00:17:28 UTC 2013

On 01.05.2013 02:08, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-05-01 01:37 (GMT+0200) Sandro Mani composed:
>
>>> # yum install @critical-path-gnome
>
>> The gnome one is close, the kde one not: critpath contains kdelibs and
>> kdm, but a minimal set would rather look like
>> base + xorg + mesa + kdm kde-workspace dejavu-sans-fonts
>> dejavu-sans-mono-fonts
>> (here it might be a good idea to have the dejavu-sans-fonts as
>> dependencies of kdm / kde-workspace?)
>
> Why only DejaVu (which along with Verdana and Vera have the
> significantly largest average x-height and width of common western web
> fonts)?

Aren't the dejavu fonts those which are mapped to the standard sans,
serif and monospace fonts? (could very well be wrong here).
> What good are TTF/OTF fonts without Xorg?
>
> Mesa aka 3D? Bling I don't need, or want no matter how fast the
> system, and I force it globally with Option "Composite" "Disable"
> somewhere in /etc/X11/.

Well ok, the central part though is what follows the core graphics stack
- those core packages are always the same, the sometimes more
challenging part however is figuring out which DE specific packages are
necessary for the basic shell.