Request for focused testing on containers (LVM, btrfs) in F19 Beta TCs

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 2 04:25:58 UTC 2013

Hi, folks. I wanted to pass along a special request from the anaconda
team for those of you who are helping to test the Beta TCs (for which,
thanks!)

There are some substantial changes to the handling of containers in
custom partitioning that landed just prior to the TCs starting up.
Containers are LVM volume groups and btrfs volumes, basically. We don't
really need to go into much detail on the changes, but here's what would
really help:

Please, just exercise the code, and file bugs if you hit crashes or
failures. UI feedback is nice but we're mostly after bugs, here. Of
course, the usual advice not to install on production systems goes
double here, but if you have test systems or VMs, use 'em! We need to
try stuff like containers that span multiple disks, resizing containers,
changing various properties of them, trying to set up LVM-on-RAID (which
now ought to be possible, I believe). It'd be ideal if people can focus
on 'plausible' cases - it is useful to get bugs like 'if I go back and
forward 20 times then try to create a 500 petabyte container on my 40GB
SSD, it crashes', but the best bugs are ones that people are reasonably
likely to hit when trying to do something practical.

It would be helpful if you could put 'newui-container' in the 'Devel
Whiteboard' field in Bugzilla when filing your bugs - that way the devs
can identify them as related to this testing effort. If you have the
relevant powers, you can also assign them to dlehman AT redhat,
otherwise we'll go through and do them periodically.

Thanks a lot, folks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey