F19 DVD over size - what to drop?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu May 2 00:26:13 UTC 2013

Bill Nottingham writes:

> The F19 DVD is currently *way* over size. (i686: 417MB, x86_64: 311MB).
> That's almost certainly more than can be fixed by trimming around the
> edges; we need to remove actual functionality that's on the DVD.
>
> Options include:
>
> 1) One/some of the desktops
>
> F19 DVD currently includes
> - GNOME

Bet a thousand quatloos someone's going to suggest dropping Gnome, before
the week is over.

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

valgrind
eclipse
gimp
kdegames

Nice chunk of real estate there. Only devs needs valgrind. It's my
impression that eclipse has somewhat eclipsed in popularity. gimp and
kdegames are still quite popular, but they're not needed for a base install,
and it's easy enough to install them afterwards.