Adding open-vm-tools to core group

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu May 2 12:25:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 02:17:27PM +0200, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 05/02/2013 05:31 AM, Ravindra Kumar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is going to very useful for users if we install open-vm-tools inside
> > a VM on VMware always.
> >
> > For this, I'm proposing following design:
> > 1. Add open-vm-tools to the core package group
> > 2. Modify Anaconda to uninstall open-vm-tools after installation if
> > install is not running on a VM on VMware
> >
> I can't see, how this can happen anyways. Anaconda just runs once (at
> installation), afterwards it can safely be removed (correct me, if I'm
> wrong).
>
> Could you please explain, why this should be useful for all our users? I
> think it's more sensible to install, when running on VMware. And also:
> why do you require this at all?

Rather than trying to only install it in particular scenarios, it is
better to install it everywhere and then make sure that it is a no-op
unless it is running inside VMWare. Not least because if we're building
a cloud image, the initial build environment likely won't involve VMware
at all, but the ultimate runtime environment may well be VMWare.

The systemd unit file open-vm-tools includes already has a statement
ConditionVirtualization=vmware. Whether there is more work required
to make sure the package is a no-op on non-VMWare deployments is
something that'd need to be verified before inclusion in the core
package group.

Daniel