F19 DVD over size - what to drop?

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu May 2 20:30:41 UTC 2013

On 05/02/2013 03:00 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> FWIW I agree with the general trend of discussion so far: let's find
> things to drop that don't really need to be on the DVD so we can keep
> MATE and Cinnamon. You can install those from live images or from repos
> of course, just like anything else, but they are things it makes a deal
> of sense to provide for offline users - probably more so than many of
> the candidates for removal so far - and there is a substantial PR
> benefit to including them. Most press don't understand the ins and outs
> of DVDs vs. live images vs. repositories vs. net installs and so on. I
> recall only one F18 review that accurately nailed the status of Cinnamon
> and MATE in F18 - in the repositories, available from net install, but
> no live image and not on the DVDs. Aside from that lone hero, the
> reviewers who actually bothered to download and install Fedora usually
> said 'you can't install Cinnamon or MATE at install time' (because they
> used the DVD and didn't know how network installs work). The 'reviewers'
> who just went off the release notes said "Cinnamon and MATE are included
> in Fedora 18!" and then readers who didn't understand the subtleties
> downloaded the DVD, saw it wasn't there, and bashed us, the reviewers or
> both.

Would there be a way to preserve the choice without taking the space,
e.g. by offering a skeleton network installation package with a big fat
warning that the whole thing requires a network download? This approach
is used a lot in Windowsland: the initial install.exe is a small file
that downloads the rest.