Idea: "{Gnome,KDE,Xfce,...} Minimal Desktop" groups

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 2 22:59:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-29 at 10:52 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 04/29/2013 10:01 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > That said, if someone wanted to do the exploration, come up with those
> > minimal package sets and propose them for inclusion to comps.xml (with
> > the blessing of the related desktop SIG), I have no problems with it
> > myself.
>
> To a certain extent, this has already been done.  "yum groupinfo gnome-
> desktop" will list the mandatory packages for the group.  (Although it's
> still a pretty hefty list.)
>
> AFAIK, there isn't any easy way to install just the mandatory packages
> in a group.  One has to set group_package_types in yum.conf.

Right, that's what I was going to say. This just seems to be the
boundary between 'mandatory' and 'default' in comps. If that boundary is
currently drawn wrong, we could certainly revise it, and it seems a
reasonable feature request for yum to add an easy way to install only
mandatory packages.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey