Self introduction, and maintaining MySQL package

Bjorn Munch bjorn.munch at oracle.com
Fri May 3 10:43:33 UTC 2013

On 02/05 17.53, Honza Horak wrote:

> > I have just submitted a request for rename of the package
> > community-mysql "back" to mysql-community:
> >

> However, I need to repeat that this could have some impact to
> choosing default package when asking for "mysql" name, as I've
> described at:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-April/181340.html

We have tried to reproduce this case here but we didn't get the wrong
behaviour you refer to even with the name mysql-community. I don't why
you are getting problems.

> One recent example -- I've found that perl-DBD-MySQL got build
> against community-mysql few weeks back, when the current builds of
> community-mysql and mariadb were already in the repo. Honestly, I
> don't have a clue how that could happen, but it was another proof
> for me, that we should take the safest way as we could. Fortunately,
> in this case removing mysql-devel and mysql-embedded-devel providers
> from community-mysql packages should work fine.

The new package removed those provides.

In any case, this problem is not an argument for community-mysql since
even that caused undesired behaviour; renaming to mysql-community
would not make any difference.

- Bjorn Munch