F19 DVD over size - what to drop?

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri May 3 13:40:59 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> FWIW I agree with the general trend of discussion so far: let's find
> things to drop that don't really need to be on the DVD so we can keep
> MATE and Cinnamon. You can install those from live images or from repos
> of course, just like anything else, but they are things it makes a deal
> of sense to provide for offline users - probably more so than many of
> the candidates for removal so far - and there is a substantial PR
> benefit to including them.

It's good PR to have Mate and Cinnamon, another question is - with
Gnome Classic session - wouldn't be better to point our users to it now?

But I tend to agree with trend - aim on users with DVDs, developers are
usually able to bring stuff for theirs development needs (and there are
much more options to select the right set than desktops). So count me
+1 to remove it.

> To address a couple of other points that have come up: the world
> certainly hasn't reached the point where we can target DL DVDs or huge
> USB sticks and forget about the SL DVD target, no. We still have
> significant usage of the DVD images, ambassadors can confirm this.

See my comment - Ambassadors can't confirm that - we do not distribute
it any more. One more reason I forgot to mention: it's cheaper to produce
more Multi Live DVDs - we get discount based on pieces in batch.

Jaroslav