F19 DVD over size - what to drop?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri May 3 13:54:37 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> said:
> But I tend to agree with trend - aim on users with DVDs, developers are
> usually able to bring stuff for theirs development needs (and there are
> much more options to select the right set than desktops). So count me
> +1 to remove it.

Development is such a wide target; you're never going to include a
significant amount of the development support on a single DVD (even if
you excluded everything else).  If you restricted it to say "GNOME
desktop development" you might could do something useful (but then you'd
annoy KDE, XFCE, etc. devs).  You could try "Web development" and
include a variety of PHP, perl, Ruby, etc., but that would still take a
lot of space.

Long-term (if we want to continue handling lots of packages on install
DVDs), what would be nice would be for anaconda to support multiple DVDs
for install _and_ allow them to be inserted for repo reading (so you
could have a "Desktop DVD" with the installer and optionally add a
"Developer DVD", a "Server DVD", etc., each with additional packages.  I
seem to remember this being a suggestion with RHL and/or early Fedora
back in the days when it was pushing the limits of a CD (before
everything moved to DVD).

That would be a PITA to handle; my best guess would be that the install
would have to be broken up into multiple transactions (one per DVD or
install source), but you'd have to resolve deps first (so deps of the
"Development DVD" that are part of the desktop could be installed in the
"Desktop DVD" transaction).

Alternately, I know work was done on getting yum to support media repos
at one point (don't know where that went).  You could just use the
"Desktop DVD" during install, and then insert the "Development DVD"
after boot (maybe a firstboot-type screen?).  That still has the
dependencies problem though.

I don't know if all of that is worth the trouble.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>