Adding open-vm-tools to core group

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri May 3 11:48:11 UTC 2013

Am 03.05.2013 13:30, schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:
> Le Ven 3 mai 2013 01:46, Adam Williamson a écrit :
>
>> I don't really hate the 'let's just install it everywhere and make sure
>> it doesn't run unless it's necessary' approach, but it is kinda lazy
>> engineering, and it *does* waste space on those small-space cases Peter
>> is always reminding us about. Especially if this stuff goes in core.
>>
>> It seems like the thing to do would be to ask anaconda if it's
>> feasible / desirable to make the installation of this stuff contingent
>> on the environment
>
> Well, this is what I call lazy engineering: detect hardware at install
> time, assume it never changes, and ask users to reinstall from scratch
> whenever they move systems (or hunt-the-third-party-bits-on-the-internet à
> la windows 95)

stay on topic!

you do not need open-vm-tools for a working network, not for paravirt-scsi
not for any virtual hardware nor will it break anything if you move
the machine from VMware to whatever virtualization or even move the
image to a phyiscal computer

you are still hanging in the days vmware-drivers where insinde vmware-tools
these days are gone for Fedora at least a year ago!