F19 DVD over size - what to drop?

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Fri May 3 18:50:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hm, I've always thought of it differently - if we're trying to provide good
> value in the DVD media as a demonstration of all the things you can do with
> Fedora

It did. Until I couldn't install multiple desktops anymore. (18)

>Isn't there more value in a development workstation

Of course there is. Yet, we remove things like GCC from the default
install. Why?

> or a design suite

I don't think this is needed on the DVD. This should be a separate
spin (I think it is already). One can always "yum install gimp" after
having a working desktop or "minimal" install.

>or a web application stach, or other dissimilar things rather than

Define "web application stack".

This definition changes daily.

> the marginal added value of a 4th (or 5th, or 6th, or 7th) desktop?

I disagree that these are "marginal" value adds considering they got
more press than any other feature in Fedora 18.

> This is also why I've always found the multi-desktop DVD to be a strange
> thing to hand out.

I agree. It's useless to an experienced user. I'd rather be handing
out netinstall CD's as an ambassador. Cheaper, leaner, more updated
packages get installed.

> unless we're trying to tell people that Fedora is best
> for picking between one of 7 desktops and not other things.

We're trying to be too many things at once. Let's get back to basics.
A nice stable linux distro that offers you the most choice with the
most updated packages that is stable.

Dan