Q: webfonts:

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri May 3 19:50:27 UTC 2013

Le Ven 3 mai 2013 21:06, Alec Leamas a écrit :

> Still hesitating a here: if upstream has decided to support the widest
> possible set of browsers (including IE):  should we really just drop the
> formats required by IE?  From a user perspective, I don't really follow
> this although I do understand your line of reasoning.

Here is the current status of @font-face ttf/otf support in browsers:
http://caniuse.com/ttf

Normal opentype files work in the latest versions of all browsers (except
opera mini :p)

Adding special webfont formats is not worth the pain, and anyway the main
use would be old ie versions, that require eot which is not a really open
format.

> I'm truly a font newbie. That said, is there really a meaningful
> fallback for a font such as sozial
> (https://github.com/adamstac/zocial)?  I. e., is there a reasonable
> fallback for a Facebook button?

I think spot will agree there is no way we'll ever ship a font consisting
of company logos, it's trademark hell
(this is another example that proves the wisdom of checking every font,
even 'special' 'embedded' ones)

--
Nicolas Mailhot