Q: webfonts:

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sun May 5 08:19:14 UTC 2013

On 05/03/2013 09:50 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Ven 3 mai 2013 21:06, Alec Leamas a écrit :
>
>> Still hesitating a here: if upstream has decided to support the widest
>> possible set of browsers (including IE):  should we really just drop the
>> formats required by IE?  From a user perspective, I don't really follow
>> this although I do understand your line of reasoning.
> Here is the current status of @font-face ttf/otf support in browsers:
> http://caniuse.com/ttf
>
> Normal opentype files work in the latest versions of all browsers (except
> opera mini :p)
>
> Adding special webfont formats is not worth the pain, and anyway the main
> use would be old ie versions, that require eot which is not a really open
> format.
This seems to mean that we force web applications to exclude IE version
8  (and older) clients. As this seems to be a widely used IE version
today, is this really the way to go?

In my specific case openerp7, a business server application often used
in company environments, the IE8- share is probably larger than average.
It's certainly the most common client used at many sites.

The argument that the format is non-open: is this really a blocker?

[cut]

--alec