Q: webfonts:

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun May 5 09:40:12 UTC 2013

Le Dim 5 mai 2013 10:19, Alec Leamas a écrit :

> This seems to mean that we force web applications to exclude IE version
> 8  (and older) clients. As this seems to be a widely used IE version
> today, is this really the way to go?

It seems to be a case of Fedora being first and Microsoft being last :p

> In my specific case openerp7, a business server application often used
> in company environments, the IE8- share is probably larger than average.
> It's certainly the most common client used at many sites.

Are you sure it works well in IE8 at all? Because there are lots of other
reasons a modern web site will fail in old ie versions

> The argument that the format is non-open: is this really a blocker?

Generally speaking, it's a PITA to ship fonts in multiple formats, you're
never quite sure they are properly synchronized and that a bug does not
lurk in a specific implementation, and it's a space waster. I guess that
for the specific case of ie-only eot fonts it could be done (woff is
cleaner but does not gain you significant browser coverage compared to
otf/ttf). However that would require :
1. generating eot fonts ourselves from the base fonts using eot-tools
2. defining where they are put on the filesystem (probably not in
/usr/share/fonts since no linux app that I know can use them)
3. defining the naming of eot (sub)packages
4. adjusting guidelines, documenting on the wiki and getting them
FPC-approved

I was sort of hopping the "problem" would go away with adoption of direct
opentype support in all browsers, but if you want to do the work, be my
guest :)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot