Do you think this is a security risk and if not is it a bad UI decision?

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun May 5 18:07:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Dan Mashal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the latest Fedora 19 Beta TC2 install after I got through the
> initial steps of the install I started to setup my root password.
>
> To my surprise my password was shown in plain text instead of bullets.

The obvious workaround is to use a temporary password during installation
and on the first boot use passwd to change it (still leaves a small time
window of vulnerability though). It is similar to removing pulseaudio upon
installation to get the sound working. Surprisingly, Fedora keeps adding
these "hidden" steps to complete a sane installation, yet adding a step to
educate users about DE choices is still a taboo.

Best,
Orcan