FYI: F20 Feature: Migrate to Bluez5

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon May 6 14:04:01 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 10:13 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > In Fedora 20, we'll be using BlueZ 5.x to manage Bluetooth devices.
> >
> > Bluez5 uses a D-Bus API that's not compatible with Bluez4[1] and as
> > such, management applications and a number of libraries and daemons will
> > need to be ported.
> >
> > For GNOME 3.10 (due September 2013), Gustavo Padovan and I are going to
> > be porting gnome-bluetooth, NetworkManager and PulseAudio to BlueZ5.
> > Packages for BlueZ5 will be available as soon as we figure out how to
> > integrate a few downstream features that were in the Fedora packages.
> >
> > Bluez4 and Bluez5 are not parallel-installable, and incompatible, so
> > other applications relying on Bluez4 will need to be ported by their
> > respective maintainers.
>

> Any analysis to what packages are affected,

The ones I care about are:
- gnome-user-share, gvfsd-obexftp, obex-data-server (ObexFTP/Obex PUSH
will use a new obexd implementation)
- gnome-bluetooth
- PulseAudio (already ported to BlueZ 5)
- NetworkManager

blueman, and KDE will need to rework their Bluetooth support. Other
applications that chose to poke at Bluetooth's D-Bus API directly will
also need to be ported.

Applications that use libbluetooth will most likely just need a rebuild
against the library with the updated soname.

>  how many are yet to
> support the new API and how hard it will be for them to be ported
> over.

Cheers