Q: webfonts:

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Mon May 6 15:46:28 UTC 2013

Le Dim 5 mai 2013 12:30, Alec Leamas a écrit :
> On 05/05/2013 11:40 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> Are you sure it works well in IE8 at all? Because there are lots of
>> other
>> reasons a modern web site will fail in old ie versions
> Double checking... and you're right, openerp only supports IE 9+.
>
> Which means that I could indeed go for using ttf/otf only. Other folks
> might have interest  in this, don't know, but  as fas as I am concerned
> this resolves some  loose ends.
>
> I'm still not convinced that it makes sense to package a font like
> zocial like a regular desktop font (leaving legal issues aside here).

Why not? People use all kind of symbol fonts in presentations and other
documents (they *love* their symbol fonts, that was a major driver for
dejavu adoption). As long as the font is technically sane and you've been
careful enough to assign it a low priority in fontconfig there is no
problem

Don't forget, that browsers also use system fonts, so if you don't install
the fonts in a standard place you're forcing all your Fedora web clients
to download it dynamically from the web site.

> There is also the case when a package contains both a webfont and a
> desktop font (with different ttf files).  Something like a
> /usr/share/fonts/webfonts for fonts packaged solely as a web static
> resource might possibly be a solution, I guess (?)

Well as we've established there:
1. the only "useful" webfont format is eot (to reach users of old ie
versions, all major browsers except ie are easily upgradable and support
normal opentype fonts and there is no restriction on using opentype for
floss fonts)
2. it's only useful for the very narrow range of web applications that use
bleeding-edge html5 tricks like webfonts but still work with the
braindamaged web engines included in ie < 9

So if you wanted to do webfonts, the correct way would be to define a
filesystem root such as /usr/share/eot-fonts (not a /usr/share/fonts/
subdirectory, that would pollute fontconfig space)

But I doubt the intersection of fedora packages, large ie < 9 population,
html5-webapp, oldie-compatible-webapp amounts to much. So why bother.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot