Adding open-vm-tools to core group

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 7 13:13:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 03:12:52PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 15:04 -0700, Ravindra Kumar wrote:
>
> > If it is absolute no, I would proceed with the Anaconda patch if
> > there is a good explanation/alternative to the 3 issues I have
> > listed above.
>
> Talk to the anaconda devs first. I'm no expert on anaconda internals,
> but I play one on TV, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't take a patch
> that tries to uninstall stuff from the system it just installed. There
> are already mechanisms in anaconda for conditionally adding packages to
> the 'to be installed' set, based on the system architecture, and
> probably some other things. You probably want to either make use of or
> at least mirror the design of these existing mechanisms, rather than
> just inventing a new one out of thin air.

I don't understand why we'd want to do the uninstall part.  The
open-vm-tools service (vmtoold.service) is already conditional on
VMware being found at boot time.  Do we uninstall X11 drivers if they
are not needed at install time?

So IMHO it seems no change to Anaconda is really necessary here.

Rich.