Concern about FedoraCryptoConsolidation

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue May 7 15:27:22 UTC 2013

Richard Levenberg wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraCryptoConsolidation
>
> While I understand the reasons for this idea of Consolidation I have a
> concern that very valid use cases are being ignored or unknown. As an
> example I have a use case supported with curl and OpenSSL like this:
>
> curl  --cacert truststore.pem --cert example.com.pem:test
> https://example.com
>
> This is where I have a private truststore that I don't want shared with
> any other applications and client certificate that I don't want to
> install for usage by any other application. With curl and stunnel for
> example, how is this use case supported with NSS? The paradigm of having
> certs in db form is fine for shared resources but not appropriate for
> resources that are never intended to be shared. curl with OpenSSL uses a
> file paradigm, defaulting to /usr/local/share/certs/ca-root-nss.crt in
> the nominal case and whatever you specify in the explicit case. If there
> is something similar that allows you to create a non-shared "file" in
> berkeley db format and a non-shared instance of a client certificate in
> some format that could work. However given that use case is already
> supported with OpenSSL curl and stunnel, I'm skeptical of all the work
> to port NSS which was never designed for these use cases.

NSS has a PKCS#11 module that can load PEM certificates, so it should
work the same way as with OpenSSL. You shouldn't have to change your cli
at all. If you do it's a bug.

> Another problem I see is the case where the global certificates are no
> longer valid for whatever reason. These decisions can be made by the OS
> (CRL's), the user/admin OR the application(s). With the NSS, the
> application seems left out of the decision making process. In many cases
> the user/admin cannot be relied upon for proper management and the OS's
> notions of what is valid and the application's notion are different.
> This situation coalesces to my first use case but I could see it being a
> more general case of certificate management.

This is a long-standing problem only tangentially related to Crypto
Consolidation.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SharedSystemCertificates should
help address this somewhat, but it doesn't address per-app CRL or OCSP
enforcement.

rob