Adding open-vm-tools to core group

Ravindra Kumar ravindrakumar at vmware.com
Tue May 7 17:48:01 UTC 2013

> @core is supposed to be the minimum functional install.  It is my
> understanding that, even under VMWare, open-vm-tools is not required for
> the system to be functional, so open-vm-tools does not belong in @core.

It is not required for system to be functional, but it also leaves
a significant gap in the VM to be fully operational unless Tools are
installed. I listed out a bunch of functionality that depends on
open-vm-tools in my other response.

If there are strong use cases that don't require that functionality
then probably it makes sense to not be part of core, otherwise, I think
it makes more sense to make open-vm-tools part of @core because sooner
or later users will end up installing these due to one or the other
use case.

Thanks,
Ravindra