Packaging directory in /mnt - how to do so?

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Wed May 8 09:47:28 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-08 09:32, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 09:34:15AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 05/07/2013 09:14 AM, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
>>> Hey list,
>>>
>>>    In the course of review of owfs (#927237) I was pointed that
>>> shipping directory in /mnt is prohibited. FHS seems to agree.
>>>
>>>    owfs is suite of program for accessing 1-wire network, which is
>>> simple hardware protocol.  One of the program is FUSE module,
>>> giving the access to network and devices on it through filesystem.
>>> The "/mnt/1wire" directory is widely used default - it's in the
>>> default config files and many scripts over the net uses it. I'd really
>>> like to retain this similarity eith other distributions in Fedora.
>>>
>>>    Is there any way out from this situation?
>>>
>> Yeah fix this and push it upstream so those doing it wrong start
>> doing it right and follow FHS :)
>    What would be proper path for such kind of filesystem?

Hm... looking at FHS it actually looks like /mnt is the point for
temporary filesystem, nfs mountpoints is an example. One alternative
would be to see the 1-wire filesystem as a removable device and thus use
/run/media for it., I guess.

There is the tmpfiles.d mechanism to set up the directory without
packaging it (which isn't possible for /run anyway, since /run is empty
on boot). Actually, I think you could technically use tmpfiles.d to add
a temporary mountpount also in /mnt; no idea if this complies with the GL.

Just my 5 öre...

--alec