why do have shared libs 755 perms?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat May 11 18:57:27 UTC 2013

Am 11.05.2013 20:25, schrieb drago01:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> why have .so files of fedora-packages executeable permissions?
>> they are not executeable,  [...]
>
> Shared libs can be executed e.g. :
>
> $ /usr/lib64/libc.so.6
> GNU C Library stable release version 2.16, by Roland McGrath et al.

most can not and are throwing errors up to segfaults

i see no valid point in directly execute a shared library
even not in spit out any copyright, hence 99% will not

Am 11.05.2013 20:05, schrieb Mateusz Marzantowicz:
> I can confirm that in Debian shared libs are not marked as executable
> (most of them). Maybe Fedora/RHEL make use of some form of protection
> which requires executable bit to be set on .so?

which one should this be?

the opposite is true, the following is a segfault which means
there was code executed with undefined behavior

[harry at srv-rhsoft:~]$ /usr/lib64/httpd/modules/mod_fcgid.so
Speicherzugriffsfehler