why do have shared libs 755 perms?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon May 13 06:10:50 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 09:57 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> why have .so files of fedora-packages executeable permissions?
> they are not executeable, see below the difference of my personal
> builds with files from fedora packages (the original httpd and
> php packages have also 755)

Historically rpm only generated automatic dependencies on files with
executable bits, and for a long time the executable bit was the only way
of controlling dependency generation on per-file level.

Over time various exceptions to the rule have gotten added, and in rpm
 >= 4.9.x this is simply a matter of generator configuration: note the
"exeonly" flag in /usr/lib/rpm/fileattrs/elf.attr

Technically it could fairly easily be changed now that >= 4.9.x has
other means of filtering dependencies on per-file level, but the
traditional behavior was preserved in the name of compatibility, people
tend to expect similar behavior across different rpm versions.

	- Panu -