when startup delays become bugs

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed May 15 04:21:58 UTC 2013

On May 14, 2013, at 9:53 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> Do those 'other platforms' use sendmail? I don't think many other
> distros ship it by default any more. Debian installs exim by default,
> for instance.

No. But this one does therefore it might be nice, since it's installed *and* enabled, if the necessary incantation of .localdomain were automatically added for the user if they use a single word hostname, rather than cause 2+ minute startup delays as a totally non-obvious consequence of their lack of knowledge.

>> And if I use it, I end up with worse problems in that more services
>> have long delays rather than just sendmail and sm-client, and I can no
>> longer do ssh chris at f19q.local but rather I have to type
>> chris at f19qlocaldomain.
>
> I know you said that, but as I wrote in the bug, I can't reproduce that
> at all. I use foo.localdomain hostnames, I don't have startup delays,
> and avahi foo.local still works.

Yeah something hasn't ever been right for me with Fedora and mDNS. Fedora clients refuse to resolve each other, but will resolve to a Mac, and Macs find Fedoras. Example:
[root at f19q ~]# scp kernel-3.10.0-0.rc1.git2.1.fc20.x86_64.rpm chris at ming.local:/users/chris/desktop/
ssh: Could not resolve hostname ming.local: Name or service not known
lost connection

The same VM I can ssh to from a Mac, from Fedora 18 I get:
[root at f18slocaldomain ~]# ssh chris at f19q.local
ssh: Could not resolve hostname f19q.local: Name or service not known

It's supposedly zeroconf for a reason, so it shouldn't be this difficult.

>> The only two things I change from the stock installation is set the
>> hostname, and 'systemctl enable sshd' and 'systemctl start sshd'.
>> That's it.
>
> Are you setting the hostname during installation or post-install?

I've tried both, but when I rename it I'm using 'hostnamectl set-hostname XXX' as I'm not seeing anything obvious in Gnome that does this.

Chris Murphy