when startup delays become bugs

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed May 15 11:55:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 01:36:57PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 14.05.13 20:43, Adam Williamson (awilliam at redhat.com) wrote:
> >            356ms systemd-udev-settle.service
>
> This is exlusively LVM's fault. There's really no need to ever have that
> in the boot unless you run LVM.
>
> On many machines LVM is the primary reason why things are slow. I can
> only recommend everybody to not install on LVM if you can. It's a real
> shame that LVM hasn't gotten their things together still, after all
> those years.

Is there a constructive summary anywhere of what LVM needs
to do / change?  This problem affects libguestfs too.

> I am hoping for the day LVM gets kicked out of the default install. Oh
> btrfs, why are you still not around?

I Want To Believe in btrfs, but unfortunately it's still excessively
buggy.  It's actually got worse in Rawhide recently -- it reliably
fails in mkfs.btrfs :-(  I stopped bothering filing bugs about this
because they just get ignored because Rawhide isn't "new enough" (they
want us to retest everything on some non-upstream btrfs-next kernel).
My colleague ran btrfs on his laptop and had daily crashes.  Last week
he went back to ext4.

Rich.