when startup delays become bugs

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed May 15 21:09:53 UTC 2013

On 05/15/2013 04:39 PM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> I was planning to upgrade to F19 soon, and I kind-of care about the
> data on that system (I have backup, but corruption would not be
> welcome, just for the lost time reason). Do people recommend sticking
> with it? holding off the upgrade? switching back to ext4?

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/FAQ#Is_btrfs_stable.3F is a
reasonably good answer to that question.  I would note that traditional
linux filesystems have a very  long history and time to mature including
XFS and Ext4 and only check for metadata integrity unlike Btrfs.  If you
have a good (and frequent) backup system, it might be worth riding it
out but you will have to evaluate the risks and make that determination
of your own.

FWIW, I am using Btrfs without any (known) issues for a while but I also
have almost no data in my laptop that I cannot afford to lose since
everything important is an external backup disk and really important
files are in another laptop as well.

Rahul