when startup delays become bugs

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 16 20:19:34 UTC 2013

> Lennart Poettering (mzerqung at 0pointer.de) said:
> > > RequiredBy=
> > > WantedBy=dmraid-activation.service
> > >
> > > I'm not using dmraid, or md raid, or any kind of raid at the moment. I also have this entry, previously explained in this thread as probably not being needed unless dmraid is being used, so is the likely offender for udev-settle.
> > >
> > >           2.823s dmraid-activation.service
> >
> > Given that this is really only needed for exotic stuff I do wonder why
> > we need to install this by default even.
>
> We *could* drop all the assorted local storage tools from @standard and just leave
> them to be installed by anaconda if they're being used to create such
> storage. They'd have to remain on the live image, though, and so this would
> not help installs done from the live images.

dmraid looks like it's only in the anaconda-tools group (and a critpath
group) in comps, not in standard. But there's a possibly problematic dep
chain here too:

initial-setup -> anaconda -> python-blivet -> dmraid

so for non-GNOME systems, we're getting dmraid via that dep chain.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey