[coreutils] require glibc-devel to prevent broken links in coreutils info manual (#959697)

Ondrej Vasik ovasik at redhat.com
Fri May 17 10:35:57 UTC 2013

> > > Or better still, fix the coreutils user-targetted docs, to not refer to
> > > glibc's developer-targetted docs. Coreutils docs could just include info
> > > on how to set the TZ variable, instead of punting the task to glibc's
> > > developer docs.
> >
> > Well, I don't think glibc info doc has only developer-targetted info -
> > that's the issue - there are more things useful to regular experienced
> > users (like regexps info, locales info).
>
> In that case, glibc maintainers need to re-consider their claim that it
> is only material for developers & put it in glibc-common or a glibc-docs
> package instead of the -devel package

That's what the glibc maintainers proposed as longer term solution for their upstream todo list - split their info doc into strictly devel part and "general purpose" part. This may need some time, though (and even then, it will probably need some adoption, as it will probably be named differently, so links may break again)...

Require glibc-devel in coreutils means + ~1M to default minimal installation size. Not much, but not good practice, I agree. I may go with coreutils-infodoc (or something like that) subpackage (keeping just basic manuals in main package and additional docs separately). This will bring back the "granularity" instead of hard dependency in the minimal install package. Any thoughts?

Ondrej