when startup delays become bugs (dmraid)

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Fri May 17 13:43:36 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> I also filed this bug against anaconda, so that for the non-livecd
> installs we don't even get dmraid installed...

I know there's always a goal of shrinking the base install, but I'm
afraid we're going overboard.  One nice thing about Linux vs. Windows
has always been how easy it is to move an install from one physical
system to another (install in one and move the hard drive, system dies
but drive is okay so you replace mboard, etc.).

By cutting out all the hardware support except for what is in the system
at install, it becomes more difficult (like Windows) to deal with any
problems, hardware upgrades, etc. down the road.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>