Unpacking SRPMs

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Fri May 17 14:37:13 UTC 2013

I'd like some scriptable way to unpack SRPMs up and including to the
%prep stage.  Ideally, the results would end up in a directory I
specify, and intermediate directories which only contain a single
subdirectory are skipped.  (The eventual goal is to run two such
directory tress through diff -uraN, and I want to avoid spurious
differences due to an update from foo-1.2 to foo-1.3.)

I've already learned the hard way that I need to use something like mock
because some %prep script assume that build requires are installed.  But
mock does not appear to support an option to stop after the %prep stage.

Unpacking SRPMs seems to be fairly common operation.  Has something like
this already been implemented?