anaconda / initial-setup / gnome-initial-setup: can we do this better?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 17 21:44:25 UTC 2013

> but still, it seems to be worth considering. Alternatively, we could
> make i-s behave a lot more like g-i-s: it could dump its 'root password'
> and 'date/time' spokes, and only run at all, and only to allow user
> creation, if you didn't create a user during anaconda.

Thinking about it more, this really seems to be the way to go. Forcing
user creation in anaconda is a problem for someone who wants to do a
minimal install with no user account. Doing the above would reduce the
paths to something manageable without compromising any existing use
cases.

So, vpodzime, msivak: can we lobotomize initial-setup? Can we jettison
the root password and time/date spokes, and make it only do user
creation, and only run it if a user account was not created during
anaconda? That seems to be the path forward to sanity, in my mind
anyway.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey