anaconda / initial-setup / gnome-initial-setup: can we do this better?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 17 21:51:05 UTC 2013

> On Fri, 2013-05-17 at 14:25 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > but still, it seems to be worth considering. Alternatively, we could
> > make i-s behave a lot more like g-i-s: it could dump its 'root password'
> > and 'date/time' spokes, and only run at all, and only to allow user
> > creation, if you didn't create a user during anaconda.
>
> Thinking about it more, this really seems to be the way to go. Forcing
> user creation in anaconda is a problem for someone who wants to do a
> minimal install with no user account. Doing the above would reduce the
> paths to something manageable without compromising any existing use
> cases.
>
> So, vpodzime, msivak: can we lobotomize initial-setup? Can we jettison
> the root password and time/date spokes, and make it only do user
> creation, and only run it if a user account was not created during
> anaconda? That seems to be the path forward to sanity, in my mind
> anyway.

Heck, we could even then use initial-setup on GNOME installs too, and
only use gnome-initial-setup's "user mode". That would give us a really
consistent model: you set up root pw and/or user account in anaconda or
initial-setup, and then desktops can have a tool like
gnome-initial-setup which runs on the first login for a new user, to set
up the user's environment. It removes all the functionality overlap
between different tools and gives us a clear and straightforward model
for testing and development, that is desktop agnostic.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey