when startup delays become bugs

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Fri May 17 22:52:38 UTC 2013

On 5/17/13 5:39 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

>> When it took 4s above, was that a from a clean reboot (i.e. was the journal dirty?)
>
> Clean. And it's a new file system, created within the hour of the time test. I also don't understand why there are two instances. There's only one ext4 file system on the computer.

Can't imagine why it takes 4s then, need finer-grained tracing I guess...

If I "e2fsck" a clean fs here it takes about 0.1s.

Most of its time is spent in read(); several reads get about 100k of data from the device, and that's about it.

As a sanity check I suppose you could try e2fsck from a rescue environment and see if it still takes that long, or of there is other overhead / interaction slowing it down.

-Eric