when startup delays become bugs (dmraid)

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat May 18 03:39:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> You could transfer the install to a system which contains a dmraid
> array, or add a dmraid array to an existing install (I think this thread
> has been considering only the case of the installed system itself being
> on the RAID array). Of course, the case where the installed system is
> not on the RAID array is much less 'urgent' - your system doesn't stop
> working, you just have to figure out you need to enable the service /
> install the tool in order to see the array.

Yeah, but you'd need to do some manual configuration there anyway.
Adding `yum install dmraid` to that isn't really a massive burden.

I could have another drive in my new system that uses ZFS, but I don't
think we should add zfs-fuse to @core just so any random hard drive
with Fedora installed that I happen to want to pop in there can read
it off the bat.

I love that I can put a drive with Fedora on it into any system and
have it boot, but my expectations in this regard end with being able
to log in.  I do not expect any random new hardware I have in that new
system to just magically work without a little prodding, beyond the
hardware that *always* just magically works, of course.  Asking for
more is madness.

-T.C.