P J P
pj.pandit at yahoo.co.in
Sat May 18 21:09:28 UTC 2013
So I thought let's get a weather extension to see current weather in my city.
Should have been easy like slicing butter, right? It turned out to be crazy disaster!!.
0. I'm using GNOME Shell 3.4.1 on F17 (Beefy Miracle).
1. I do $ yum install gnome-shell-extension-weather.
2. It does not show up in the top panel. So I look around for some option to enable it.
I try system settings, no luck. Nowhere do I see option for extensions.
3. On CLI
$ gnome-shell- <tab>, lists gnome-shell-extension-tool
I do -> $ gnome-shell-extension-tool -e gnome-shell-extension-weather
still it does not show up in the top panel.
4. $ gnome-shell-extension-prefs
It lists the weather extension, I set preferences for temperature, wind speed units etc.
and try to add city: Pune, India. Even after 5 minutes the `Ok' button does not come to life.
I have absolutely no idea why. After typing few other random cities, I realise it must have
been doing web search for the city I typed, for it shows me list of cities as auto-complete list.
5. I type `Pune, India' again and wait 5 minutes. This time it shows the drop down list with Pune at
the top. I select it, but still the `Ok' button does not come to life. No Idea why. So I cancel.
6. Try again, type `Pune, India', wait 5 minutes, select Pune from the list, this time `Ok' wakes up,
I click it. The `gnome-shell-extension-prefs' dialogue window has no `ok or apply' button, so I click
`X (close)' at the top right corner. But the weather extension does not show up in the top panel.
7. I try: Alt+F2 r <Enter>, still no luck.
8. I log-out of the gnome-shell, and log-in again: and I'm greeted with the infamous
- Oops! Something went wrong!! - message. I try to log-in couple more time, but same message.
9. I un-install `gnome-shell-extension-weather' from text console, and try to log-in, still same message.
10. I plug-out the USB datacard (internet) and try to log-in. It works!
11. I install `gnome-shell-extension-weather', set preferences, and log out. USB internet is on,
try to log-in - Oops! Something went wrong!!
12. disconnect internet, try to log-in and it works.
13. Yet, weather extension is nowhere to be seen on the top panel or task bar. :(
This is just bad state of affairs and *terrible* user experience
Has anybody tried this extension before? Does it work??
More information about the devel