QA Testscase: Installation with mountpoint inside future $HOME?

Miloslav Trma─Ź mitr at volny.cz
Mon May 20 16:42:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Sandro Mani <manisandro at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just hit a bug which causes $HOME to be owned by root if a mountpoint
> is created inside $HOME during install, see [1].

Ouch.  Recent libuser versions refuse to do anything about a home directory
(... which should cause the whole "create user" process to fail) if $HOME
already exists - and this is necessary for security reasons.

I'd much rather prohibit this case - if you want to set up a mountpoint
within $HOME, create the user first.  It would admittedly be a really ugly
policy, however I think it's still better than the security risk.
    Mirek