Default-installed MTA (was Re: MTA virtual provides craziness)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon May 20 22:12:51 UTC 2013

Lots of things use /etc/aliases...

I think we are drifting off point here.

1. If we ship no mta then things would be logged only and people would
have to know to look there.

2. If we ship a non local delivery mta (ssmtp/esmtp, etc), then we need
a way to ask the user 'what email address should get root emails from
this machine'.

3. If we ship sendmail/postfix/exim we can keep on as we are now, since
they can do local delivery out of the box. However, user needs to login
as root or otherwise check emails for root or configure it to send to
another email address they check or they are basically in the same boat
as log only. However, people already might be expecting this behavior.

kevin