Default-installed MTA (was Re: MTA virtual provides craziness)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon May 20 22:20:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> Lots of things use /etc/aliases...
>
> I think we are drifting off point here.
>
> 1. If we ship no mta then things would be logged only and people would
> have to know to look there.
>
> 2. If we ship a non local delivery mta (ssmtp/esmtp, etc), then we need
> a way to ask the user 'what email address should get root emails from
> this machine'.
>
> 3. If we ship sendmail/postfix/exim we can keep on as we are now, since
> they can do local delivery out of the box. However, user needs to login
> as root or otherwise check emails for root or configure it to send to
> another email address they check or they are basically in the same boat
> as log only. However, people already might be expecting this behavior.

My point was never ever about /etc/aliases and what uses it, I'm aware
that a lot uses it. My point was always that even with a default MTA
whether that be sendmail or any of others the standard user currently
has to do, and know they have to do, a manual configuration as the
root user so as it stands even though we ship a MTA by default it is
of no use to identify to the local users of the system that something
is wrong with the system without further configuration and as a result
we may as well not ship one.

Peter