Default-installed MTA (was Re: MTA virtual provides craziness)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon May 20 23:01:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 15:55:24 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 21:27 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
> > > if a disk dies it is nice to have it in syslog but
> > > it is useless if you see it days later while a mail
> > > from crond is more or less real time
> >
> > You still have to configure all of that and whether a MTA is
> > installed automatically or not doesn't really make it work out of
> > the box.
>
> For basic local delivery, configuration is not required. Mail to root,
> any default aliases of root, and any existing local user is delivered
> with sendmail's OOTB configuration, to /var/spool/mail where you can
> read it.

Sure, but do many users do? Or does it sit there until the end of time?

Would more or less folks read logs?

It seems kinda a toss up to me. On one hand folks who have been around
a while might well read root emails. On the other hand, anyone seeing
problems would probably be more likely to check logs than know they
should read root emails off hand.

kevin