[heads-up] kbd using converted xkb layouts landing in Rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 21 16:19:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 16:42 +0200, Vitezslav Crhonek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have built kbd-1.15.5-6.fc20 recently. It uses converted xkb layouts
> instead of original console keymaps by default.
>
> Basic info:
>
> - the list of xkb layouts and variants is taken from
> /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.xml
> (processed by slightly modified perl script taken from
> xkeyboard-config package sources)
>
> - xkb keymaps are converted during build of the kbd package
> using "ckbcomp" from console-setup package
>
> - there are symlinks from the old keymap names to the matching entries
> of the X11 keymaps (pairs taken from 'kbd-model-map' file in localed
> sources)
>
> - original keymaps are available in kbd-legacy subpackage and
> /lib/kbd/keymaps/legacy directory (so you can still loadkey
> your favorite keymap shipped by kbd upstream if you want or in case
> of need), kbd-legacy is (temporarily?) required by main kbd package
>
> The change is discussed in [1], check it for more information.
>
> Please let me know if it breaks something or if you think that the
> symlink from old keymap should point to different xkb layout.

Thanks Vitezslav!

I just wanted to bang the drum for this change: it should make dealing
with keyboard layouts a great deal more sane for F20+. The obvious
interaction points to check are anaconda, systemd-localed, and keyboard
configuration tools (s-c-k, plus GNOME's, KDE's etc). Everyone should be
on the same page so that when a layout is configured, it's set for both
console and X. We probably want to be going through systemd-localed for
that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey