anaconda / initial-setup / gnome-initial-setup: can we do this better?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 21 19:03:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 11:50:37AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Since F19 has user creation in anaconda, we can actually cover all those
> scenarios in anaconda quite easily. Literally all we have to do is make
> it pop up a warning if you try to quit the installer without creating a
> user account, but let you go ahead if you really want to.

Maybe more forgiving to also not pop up a warning if you've not created a
user but have set a root password? (And maybe put a block of text on the
root pw page suggesting that a user account is best practice?)

I'll let the UX experts make that call, though. :)

> gnome-initial-setup would still be a different case, as GNOME apparently
> really wants to force the creation of a non-root account. So g-i-s will

That seems fine to me; systems where you don't want a user account shouldn't
be desktop systems, and it seems compatible with what I suggest above: if
they have a root password don't pop up anything about the user account, and
if they're in the common desktop case we know they'll get the lecture later.