wired ethernet disabled between reboots, was: when startup delays become bugs

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue May 21 20:25:54 UTC 2013

On May 21, 2013, at 2:07 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 21.05.2013 22:02, schrieb Chris Murphy:
>> Maybe someone can explain to me the use case for ONBOOT= where its value isn't tied
>> to the current network state. I wasted an inordinate,  unreasonable amount of time
>> trying to figure this out before I realized what was going on
>
> why should ONBOOT tied to the *current* state?

Common and reasonable user expectation, at least in a GUI.

> it simply controls if a interface is brought up at
> boot or not - not more and not less

It's an unusual convention.

> the use case is easy and simple:
> i have a spare network for testings on one of my machines
> most of the time it is not useed and so not started
> if i need it "ifup eth1"

What is the negative side effect of it being On at reboot, when it was left On at the time you initiated the reboot?

I don't disable my cabled connection or wireless connections, just because I only use one at a time. I leave them both on and I expect a modern OS to use the available one. If both are available, I should have a way to set their priority of use in the UI.

Chris Murphy