wired ethernet disabled between reboots, was: when startup delays become bugs

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue May 21 20:33:13 UTC 2013

On May 21, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 14:02 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> 1. Connect Automatically may work as designed, but it's a flawed
>> design. It makes no sense to have an admin user enable a network
>> through the Gnome shell toolbar icon (Network icon, flip the switch
>> from Off to On), reboot, and then have no network. The widespread
>> convention for all other such UI switches is that they're sticky. I
>> don't have to go make them behave sticky by checking something five
>> layers deep. Something I wouldn't have even considered exists as it's
>> apparently unique, I've never encountered an automaticity option on
>> Windows or OS X. It's a bizarre convention. Off means off, make that
>> sticky through reboots. On means on, make that sticky through reboots.
>
> The question of whether it should be *system wide* is a different
> question from whether it should *persist*.

I'm just trying to figure out the simple case for now: single user who is an admin. I'm experiencing undesirable behavior. If this simple and common case isn't working out well, then I don't expect the more complex cases to work out much better. And as an ape who wears pants, I try to limit how confused I get in a given time frame.

>> 3. The naming convention of the interfaces is confusing. Sometimes
>> it's ifcfg-en5s0 and sometimes ifcfg-p5p1 for the same interface and I
>> don't know why.
>
> That's nothing to do with NM, it's the 'persistent device naming' stuff
> at a lower level. Up to F18 this was being done by biosdevname, which
> gave the 'p5p1' naming; in F19 it's being done by systemd, which gives
> the 'en5s0' naming. There was an effort to ensure they at least both
> called the most common case 'em1', but beyond that, they have different
> naming schemes. Life's fun, huh. This kinda sucks, but it's not NM's
> fault. There was discussion of the issue on this list earlier in the f19
> cycle.

Is Gnome > Settings > Network leveraging Network Manager? If so, it's using a different naming convention than systemd, and it seems the two are involved in some non-deterministic confusion.

Chris Murphy