wired ethernet disabled between reboots, was: when startup delays become bugs

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue May 21 21:09:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 22:07 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 21.05.2013 22:02, schrieb Chris Murphy:
> > Maybe someone can explain to me the use case for ONBOOT= where its value isn't tied
> > to the current network state. I wasted an inordinate,  unreasonable amount of time
> > trying to figure this out before I realized what was going on
>
> why should ONBOOT tied to the *current* state?
> it simply controls if a interface is brought up at
> boot or not - not more and not less

Turns out there's also HOTPLUG=yes/no, which is (or was?) also used to
control whether the interface was started from udev hotplug scripts
(60-net.rules).  NM currently treats ONBOOT as "autoconnect", IIRC
because there's no good reason I can think of that boot-time is
different from any other time for automatically connecting a network
interface.  If the interface is running at boot time, presumably you
want it to stay up unless you manually stop it, which obviously the old
initscripts couldn't do.

Dan