wired ethernet disabled between reboots, was: when startup delays become bugs

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue May 21 21:15:45 UTC 2013

On May 21, 2013, at 2:51 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 14:33 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On May 21, 2013, at 2:08 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 14:02 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> I'm just trying to figure out the simple case for now: single user who
>> is an admin. I'm experiencing undesirable behavior. If this simple and
>> common case isn't working out well, then I don't expect the more
>> complex cases to work out much better. And as an ape who wears pants,
>> I try to limit how confused I get in a given time frame.
>
> It's my experience that this is a dangerous way to operate. You can't
> just pretend complex cases don't exist and 'fix' the simple case. Well,
> you can, but the chances are about 100% that the next thing that happens
> will be an irate bug report from someone in the 'complex' bucket.

Ok this isn't my first day at the rodeo. I think it's important to not be confused about basic functionality before proposing fixes. So before I start playing with additional users and increasing the complexity, I'd like to have a more clear understanding of the simple use case behavior. Thanks.

>> Is Gnome > Settings > Network leveraging Network Manager? If so, it's
>> using a different naming convention than systemd, and it seems the two
>> are involved in some non-deterministic confusion.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'it's using', exactly.

Gnome Network. And I should have said it's using a different naming convention than the installer. That much I know. I suspect, but don't know, if systemd or NetworkManager are getting confused somehow as a result of the different ifcfg naming, but I'd think that the name doesn't matter, but rather the MAC address in the file is being parsed.

Anaconda creates ifcfg-en5s0, but sometimes the interface doesn't get an IP address via DHCP on boot. Sometimes it does. I haven't figured out why. But if I delete this ifcfg- file, and have Gnome > Network create a new profile, it creates a new ifcfg-p5p1 file. Now the network comes up reliably on each reboot.

> Note that the name of a NetworkManager connection is a different thing
> from the name of a network interface, though often the name of an NM
> connection is initially set to match that of the network interface which
> backs it. You can change one without changing the other, and vice versa.
> This may be a source of some confusion (and possibly bugs) here. I don't
> have enough familiarity with your situation to say.

That makes two of us.

Chris Murphy