wired ethernet disabled between reboots

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Tue May 21 22:33:30 UTC 2013

Chris Murphy wrote:
> On May 21, 2013, at 2:51 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 14:33 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >> Is Gnome > Settings > Network leveraging Network Manager? If so, it's
> >> using a different naming convention than systemd, and it seems the two
> >> are involved in some non-deterministic confusion.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by 'it's using', exactly.
>
> Gnome Network. And I should have said it's using a different naming convention than the installer. That much I know. I suspect, but don't know, if systemd or NetworkManager are getting confused somehow as a result of the different ifcfg naming, but I'd think that the name doesn't matter, but rather the MAC address in the file is being parsed.
>
> Anaconda creates ifcfg-en5s0, but sometimes the interface doesn't get an IP address via DHCP on boot. Sometimes it does. I haven't figured out why. But if I delete this ifcfg- file, and have Gnome > Network create a new profile, it creates a new ifcfg-p5p1 file. Now the network comes up reliably on each reboot.

You may or may not be experiencing something similar to what happened
to me when I upgraded to Fedora 17: Network interface names that had
previously been stable started changing back and forth on every reboot.
Sometimes the interfaces would even swap names with each other. This
made it impossible to configure things that used interface names in
the configuration files.

What I eventually did to get stable interface names was to write some
Udev rules to enforce names of my choosing dependent on the MAC
addresses. Based on various blog posts and hints from others I managed
to piece together these rules, which I put in a file
named /etc/udev/rules.d/01-network-interface-naming.rules:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="00:0c:46:16:d0:bc", NAME:="world"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="00:1e:8c:cf:cd:e5", NAME:="gigabit"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="00:16:6f:a9:95:34", NAME:="wifi"

As a bonus I got human-readable interface names, making it much easier
to remember which interface is which, but my primary motivation was to
make it possible to configure stuff.

Björn Persson