Software Management call for RFEs

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Wed May 22 18:33:16 UTC 2013

Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
>   As an user, some way to, but mostly adding some policy, to have multiple
> sonames of a library installed. Usually only useful to avoid a window of time
> with broken dependencies, but sometimes useful to have some package
> that only works with an older version of some library functional, without
> blocking an update.

Seconded. Although old and possibly insecure libraries shouldn't be kept
around indefinitely, it really ought to be possible to keep the
previous version available for some time. We already do it with kernels,
so doing it with libraries can't be too difficult. There must be a
better way to handle soname bumps like the one in LibPNG that is being
discussed right now.

If automatic cleanup of dependencies gets implemented, then an old
version of a library should be removed when no installed packages
require it anymore.

Björn Persson