Software Management call for RFEs

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed May 22 21:52:22 UTC 2013

On 05/22/2013 07:43 AM, Jan Zelený wrote:
> Dear Fedora community,
> several months ago, at the Developer conference in Brno, Software Management
> team received a whole bunch of proposals for new functionality in RPM and
> related software stack.
>
> We acknowledge the need for some changes in Software Management stack in
> Fedora but we don't want to make changes just by guessing what our
> users want. Therefore I call to you, consumers of our products (dnf, yum and
> rpm): what are the changes that you would like to see in the foreseeable
> future (say 2-3 years) and why would you like to see them (what would they
> help you with)?
>
> There is already a list of some RFEs on rpm.org wiki, you can use it as an
> inspiration, to see what RFEs we have already received:
> http://rpm.org/wiki/FeaturePlanning
>
> The only limitation for your requests is our manifest which defines the scope
> of SW management stack for the future. It is attached to this email (note that
> it's quite extensive but the first part should give you a good image of what is
> the planned scope of SW management stack).
>
> Please send your requests as replies to this email so they can be properly
> discussed.
> After your proposals are filed and discussed, all will be evaluated by our
> team and a roadmap with priorities will be created with those selected as
> doable and meaningful.
>
> Thank you in advance for your participation
> Jan

Something I'm just now running into - I have a package that can make use of
one of two different backends, but it definitely needs one of them.  I don't
want to pick which one in the package.  Also, it is explicitly referencing
specific implementations, not a generic interface, so a generic Provides in
the backend packages is not appropriate.  But something like:

Requires: ( pkgA || pkgB )

might do the trick.

--
Orion Poplawski