Software Management call for RFEs

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Wed May 22 21:55:43 UTC 2013

Le mercredi 22 mai 2013 à 21:06 +0200, Björn Persson a écrit :
> Jan Zelený wrote:
> > what are the changes that you would like to see in the foreseeable
> > future (say 2-3 years) and why would you like to see them (what would they
> > help you with)?
>
> Dare I say ... (puts on a helmet) ... Recommends and Suggests?

It would take more then 2 to 3 years to make sure everybody understand
the same thing for Suggests and Recommends.

Without explaining why a package is suggested or recommended, people
cannot make informed choice on it. So in the end, people will either get
too much, or they will not get enough. And if you had suggest/recommend
by default, you bloat the system, and if you don't, then that's useless.

I am not against the idea, but that's not a technical issue.
Technically, Suggest can be added to rpm quite fast, there is patch
floating around.

--
Michael Scherer